Well, I posted a video of Mat Lalonde’s presentation on Nutrient Density (AHS 12) just the other day. I originally intended to follow up with a copy of his research (with permission). When I asked for the data, however, Mat surprised me with this response:
I put the data through a stress test and found some inconsistencies. It turns out that there was too much variance in the data to use a standardization method. As such, I completely revamped my approach and divided the nutrient data by the RDA in order to make the values unitless and bring them within similar orders of magnitude. I’m now working on getting the data published and cannot share the spreadsheet until this is done.
I’m probably going to publish this data in a paleo book in the near future. Not my book but a collaboration between various paleo experts.
Awesome news, IMO. As much as I wanted to dive in to his data, I really dig that he’s letting the science lead the way and redoing his work to correct for inconsistencies and make it more useful. I’m curious as to his thinking in regards to norming things by dividing by RDA, but I expect we’ll hear much more about this as he publishes his work.
So, I guess we wait a little longer. At least we have this one last point that he took care to mention:
For the record, the reformatting does not affect my conclusions and, in fact, makes grains and legumes look even worse.
Good luck, Mat!